INTERCOLLEGIATE GANA CONTEST
Date: 10th August 2010
Venue: Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Chennai
Tamilnadu State AIDS Control Society (TANSACS)
INDIAN COMMUNITY WELFARE ORGANISATION
We would sincerely like to thank Mr.Shambhu Kallolikar,I.A.S, Project Director TANSACS, ,Mr.Alex Parimalam, Joint Director (IEC) TANSACS, Ms.Indhu -TL-CB,Mr.Jovalan Niranjan, Program Officer - DAPCU Mr.Rajadurai-AD,Dr.Ravibabu – JD (BS), Mr.T.Sampath - Consultant (Voluntary blood donation), Mr.Vendar Vendan-JD(TI), Mr.Kannan DD(TI),Mr.Rajganesh-AD(TI), Mr.Selvin - SMM (NACO - TSG), Mr.Sathyanarayanan - Police Advocacy, Ms.Rani-PO-(TI), Mr.Pramod-TL-(TI).
Mr.Aadithyan-Music Director, Mr.Gana Palani-Gana play back singer, Mr.A.Bakthavatchalam-Director-ARM, Mr.Kiruthiya-Lyricist, Mr.Gana Selvam and team,Mr.Palaniappillai.
Tamil Nadu State AIDS Control Society (TANSACS) has planned to organize a state level youth carnival “Illavattam”from 10th-12th August 2010, with the objective to reach more number of young people in prevention of HIV/AIDS and make them more vibrant.
The participants (youth) are primarily from universities and colleges all over the state, rural youth and school drop outs also will be engaged. Various sports and cultural competitions are planned to be conducted at the district level, University level and state level. Finals of these different competitions and games would be organized at the state level.
As part of youth carnival ICWO is identified as an agency to conduct Intercollegiate AIDS gana contest.
Orientation was organized on 9th August 2010 at ICWO head office, Annanagar, Chennai-600 040. Resource persons for orientation was Mr.Aadithyan (Music Director), Mr.Kruthiya (Lyricist) and Mr.Bakthavatchalam (ARM Director). The main focus for this orientation was to check out the lyrics and to make any changes in the tune, and the appropriate message on HIV/AIDS. Mr.Aadithyan (Music Director) looked into the rhythm, tune and spoke about Gana style and how they should sing a gana song.
Mr.kruthiya (Lyricist) took effort to listen to each and every line of the song and made the necessary changes in the lyrics. Mr.Bakthavatchalam (Director-ARM) made a presentation on Basics on STI/HIV/AIDS. He gave inputs to the contestants what are all the words they can use for lyrics and the words which they should not use.
On 9th at 10am the orientation session started and got over by 4pm,the session was divide into 2,from 10am-1:30pm was one session and after lunch from 2:30pm-4pm was the second session. 20 colleges participated in the orientation program, after the session the contestants told that the orientation was very useful for them in all the aspects to perform the next day.
Intercollegiate Gana Contest:
The event was organized in Jawaharlal Nehru stadium, Park Town on 10th August 2010.The program was started at 11am and there was a huge crowd of around 2000 students who was the audience for this event. 60 colleges had registered for this event and out of those colleges ICWO had short listed 30 colleges and on the day of event 29 colleges participated. HIV/AIDS educational exhibition was displayed with the support of TANSACS.
Mr.Aadithyan (Music Director)
Mr.Gana Palani (Play back Singer)
Mr.Bakthavatchalam (Director – ARM)
Prizes & Awards:
1st prize – Cash Prize – Rs 15,000/- ,huge cup, crown and a title “Gana Raja/Gana Rani”
2nd prize – Cash prize – Rs 10,000/- Cup.
3rd prize – Cash Prize – Rs 5,000/- Cup
Consolation Prizes (2) – Rs 3,000/- and a shield.
ICWO President Mr.M.Bhaskaran gave a speech about youth and the importance of state level youth carnival. Mr.Palaniapillai performed few songs with the theme HIV/AIDS.
Mr. Alex Parimalam JD (IEC) TANSACS gave away the mementos for judges and prizes to the winners.
1st prize- Presidency College
2nd Prize – Shree Muthukumarasamy College of Arts & Science
3rd Prize – Anna Adarsh College for women
C.S.I Ewards College for Women
Thiruthangal Nadar College for Arts & Science.
Outcome of the contest:
- A platform created for youth to showcase their skills and talents
- Positive messages were disseminated through the Media about Youth.
- Awareness created to the youth with regard to HIV/AIDS through gana songs.
- Around 50,000 were floating population and 10,000 drop in among youth had an opportunity to view and listen about HIV/AIDS awareness song in the event.
- 2000-2500 youth with lot of enthusiasm participated in the intercollegiate gana contest.
- Out of 2500 youth 500-600 audiences were girls from various colleges, 6 number of female colleges participated in the contest.
- Around 300 youth participated in oath taking.
- HIV/AIDS educational songs were performed.
- 2 prizes was won by women colleges
- 5 hours of non-stop performance by the contestants and the special invitees.
- ICWO is planning to organize a similar Gana contest in the year 2013.
- TANSACS has organized extensive and tremendous arrangements for the stage, public address system with recording facilities, seating arrangements, display tables for cups and prizes, table for judges.